Quote of the day:

"Each photograph is a story captured in a single moment"

Author: M.Lopez


Photography is capturing the extraordinary meaning in each ordinary moment, and weaving these strands together to tell a story – your story - to hold, to share, to remember.


Author: Cindy Jenson-Elliot

Saturday, July 24, 2010

.....she was little

I was telling a friend of mine today about the photos my mom brought out while I was at her house last night... and she sent me this clip-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHPNDjWw1m0

I loved it... and it spoke to me. Its true! Pictures speak..... As I looked through that old shoebox stuffed full of old family photos... I could have cried. I saw my family- some have gone on... and some still here. They were young.. they were happy. I saw my great grandma as a young woman, raising a house full of children.... a side of her I had never seen... b/c I only remember her older. I saw pictures of my granny... a blonde haired little girl with a half buttoned up sweater and tattered shoes on. I imagined her as that child.. what was her favorite dolly? Her playing with her siblings... She grew up to be such a wonderful grandma, who nurtured me, loved me, and worried over me. But- she wasnt always my granny.... she was young.... she was happy... she was safe and carefree. A little girl with messy blonde hair- and I loved that little girl.

It just reminded me of how quickly time is passing. One day someone will be looking through an old shoebox of pictures of me and my children... what will they see? What story will I tell? That I was young. I was happy. I was a good mom. I loved my children. I loved pictures.


Pictures speak........... are you listening?

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

6 comments:

Brandi-lee said...

what a touching and beautiful post. It follows on perfectly with your last post where you opened with "If these pictures have anything to say..." It's so true, photos DO speak!!

Barbara said...

Reminds me of all my old pictures but the differenc is I am in them. :) Great memories you are createing.

Melissa said...

Such a beautiful post. It is something I do often... thumb through the old pictures of my grandma's I have in boxes. I wish she was still here to tell the stories that go with them.

I think that is why it so so SO important to not just capture the "perfect photo" that we so often strive for as photographers. But to remember to capture the everyday 'normalness' that is our lives and the lives of our children. Because really, that is what tells our story.

And there you go, my friend. Inspiring me again. Much love. xoxo

Katecraft said...

Jessica you are an old sweet soul. Great post, as always there are tears welling up in my eyes as I read.

Leah Jent said...

I really love this post. Makes me wanna go through my granny's huge trunk full of photos. Thanks for another inspirational post!

Ang said...

love to pieces!

:)